This week I took the opportunity to print off my work. I arranged the pieces in a collage and photographed them. Once uploaded, I then edited the photo, cropped and changed the background. I originally took the photo on an off-white wall to take advantage of the good light. I thought the texture and the color I replaced the off-white with was a good compliment to the colors in the work that I’ve created this term. It was a good refresher on selecting, layer masks and pattern fill (along with playing with blending modes and opacity changes).
Since this week we were supposed to be assembling our portfolios and getting our web portfolio ready for a grade, I decided to have some fun. I felt like what I had to put in my portfolio is ‘okay’, but I’m lacking in the amount of things I can say I’m actually excited about. This started out as a picture of my daughter goofing around. I opened it in Illustrator and did some tracing with the pen tool, and colored in a few things. I found out once I exported it into Photoshop for finishing touches that it needed some color shifting and a lot of improvement. I really, really love texture. I don’t really care for flat cartoony images, and the texture helps provide a nice balance to make the image not as harsh.
With this graphic, I needed to practice exporting a file from Illustrator into Photoshop. Once located in Photoshop I was instructed to work with the layers to create something better than what the original file was. We were given a file that I may or may not still practice on and upload here, but I wanted the challenge to create something original first. Since we just moved to Arizona, I thought a fun, sarcastic graphic about the heat was appropriate. The top photo is my finished product from Photoshop. The bottom is the original file I created for Illustrator for export.
This assignment is the practice of importing a raster image from Photoshop into Illustrator and creating a vector image. I chose a photo I took in downtown Pensacola of a law building that appeared run down. I was just driving through the neighborhood and had to stop and snap the picture from my car. For the vector image I decided to use the settings tracing result as the view and 6 colors for the preset. I like the unsaturated look of the image. I creates an even more abandoned looking environment than the original photo did.
Our assignment was to place 25 boxes in a uniform pattern and then utilize Illustrator for something in each box. Instead of going about a randomized project, I decided I wanted it to turn into more of an art piece. I turned out better than I had hoped.
I started out with the facial elements. Once those were in place I knew I wanted her to have earrings too. The rest is pretty random, but I think it all marries well. Again I pulled from Charley Harper inspiration, and then used a few different tools like exclude in pathfinder and different gradients.
This week our assignment was to explore the basic tools of illustrator such as shapes, pen tool, paint and paint blob. For some reason I really like the representation of koi in many art pieces, and I thought I’d try it out. This was the perfect opportunity for me to try a mid-century modern approach to this assignment as Charley Harper’s work is an influence of mine. I decided to mix up the modern and the impressionism styles in order to fulfill the use of all the tools.
This assignment we were supposed to animate a photograph in Photoshop in order to create a .gif file. I originally just had the girl on the far left with her head spinning, but decided it was too plain. I went back in and colorized the photo in sections and blacked out the girl with the spinning head at the end. I also slowed it down slightly from the original version.
This week’s assignment had us focusing on type and playing with filters. The first image that I created with the type I used a lot of layers, even utilizing the 3D extrusion for the word “fishbowl”. I used the liquify filter on the word “souls”. A lot of texture, playing with opacity and blending modes, and viola!
The second image I decided to go with a sort of stamped penny effect. Much cleaner and simpler than the first quote. I used a copper texture for the background and a typewriter font. The effect was basically achieved mainly through the emboss & bevel mode. A few shadows were applied and the lighting was toyed with to create an almost realistic look.